About Me

My photo
I'm a colonist who has declared war on machines and intend to conquer them some day. You'll often find me deep in the trenches fighting off bugs and ugly defects in code. When I'm not tappity-tapping at my WMD (also, known as keyboard), you'll find me chatting with friends, reading comics or playing a PC game.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Firefox Download Day

This post is a slight digression but you could think of it as a news update... I've just been informed along with some 21,000 odd Indians out there that the download day for Firefox is June 17th. I see a lot of Internet Explorer users blissfully using the worst browser that exists for a single platform - Windows! Firefox is free of charge, more secure, well-featured and open-sourced. What can IE do that Firefox cannot? The answer is nothing. So, then why use something that is second-rate? It's not that you have to shell out a packet to use Firefox. It's absolutely free! I guess, the only reason IE still exists is because it comes for free with Microsoft Windows.

Hopefully when Firefox 3 sets a world record for the most software downloaded in a 24-hour period, more web-users will sit up and take notice. We are a country with the second largest population in the world. Let's prove that we are also willing to embrace a future of free and open-source software by participating in this important event.

On a side-note, I wouldn't recommend any NIN fan opening http://remix.nin.com with IE6.

No comments: